Your Baby Can Read....Research?

isa barriere barriere.isa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 20:27:08 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Here is a reference to a relatively recent critical review of the evidence.
The American Acedemics of Pediatrics has successfully prosecuted publishers
of these materials.

Best,
Isabelle Barriere, PhD
  Teaching gestural signs to infants to advance child development: A review
of the evidence *J. Cyne Johnston *

*Andrée Durieux-Smith *

University of Ottawa

*Kathleen Bloom *

University of Waterloo

Should parents be encouraged to teach their hearing infants to communicate
using gestural signs? Does signing in infancy advance child behaviour and
development as claimed by many commercially available products for parents?
To answer these questions, a review was undertaken to evaluate currently
available research studies that examined the effectiveness of
prelingual signing
for normally developing, hearing infants. Databases, reference lists and the
Internet were searched for relevant documents using a pre-determined
search protocol.
Seventeen reports met the review’s inclusion criteria and were retrieved and
evaluated. The review failed to support claims that signing
facilitates language
development, due to insufficiencies in scientific methods and to equivocal
results.

*Key Words:* Gestures • infants • pre-lingual • sign language • review

 First Language, Vol. 25, No. 2, 235-251 (2005)
DOI: 10.1177/0142723705050340