Use of baby signs in children acquiring sign language

Laura Morett lmorett at ucsc.edu
Sun Mar 7 20:21:40 UTC 2010

Dear all,
A recent post to another thread reminded me of something I've recently
been wondering about.  Does anyone know if there is an research on the
use of baby signs with children acquiring ASL or another actual sign
language?  I understand that the two are very different beasts, in
that baby signs are considered more akin to gestures than actual sign
languages, which have been shown to have all of the characteristics of
spoken languages.  I also understand that sign language generally
emerges more quickly than spoken language, due to children's better
motor control over their hands than their larynx, so perhaps there is
no need for them to use baby signs at all.  But I was just wondering
if anyone knows of any research on this at all.

On a related note, do users of sign languages such as ASL gesture?
Would this be impossible, due to their use of both hands for signing?

Thanks,
Laura Morett

Laura Maribeth Morett
Ph.D. Student