Use of baby signs in children acquiring sign language

Roberta Golinkoff Roberta at udel.edu
Sun Mar 7 20:33:02 UTC 2010

See the research by Linda Acredolo at University of CA Davis about baby's
use of "baby sign" and its impact on oral language acquisition.
Best, Roberta Golinkoff

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Laura Morett <lmorett at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
> A recent post to another thread reminded me of something I've recently been
> wondering about.  Does anyone know if there is an research on the use of
> baby signs with children acquiring ASL or another actual sign language?  I
> understand that the two are very different beasts, in that baby signs are
> considered more akin to gestures than actual sign languages, which have been
> shown to have all of the characteristics of spoken languages.  I also
> understand that sign language generally emerges more quickly than spoken
> language, due to children's better motor control over their hands than their
> larynx, so perhaps there is no need for them to use baby signs at all.  But
> I was just wondering if anyone knows of any research on this at all.
>
> On a related note, do users of sign languages such as ASL gesture?  Would
> this be impossible, due to their use of both hands for signing?
>
> Thanks,
> Laura Morett
>

> ************************************************************************************************
> Laura Maribeth Morett
> Ph.D. Student
> Cognitive Psychology Area
> Department of Psychology
> University of California, Santa Cruz
>
> Office: Social Sciences 2, Room 419
> Lab: Bilingualism & Cognition, SS2 411
> Mailstop: Psychology Faculty Services
> Phone: (831) 459-4592
> Fax: (831) 459-5319
> Personal website: http://people.ucsc.edu/~lmorett<http://people.ucsc.edu/%7Elmorett>
> Email: lmorett at ucsc.edu
>
>  --

Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph. D.
H. Rodney Sharp Professor
School of Education and Departments of Psychology and Linguistics and
Cognitive Science
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
Office: 302-831-1634; Fax: 302-831-4110
Web page: http://udel.edu/~roberta/
Author of "A Mandate for Playful Learning in Preschool: Presenting the
Evidence" (Oxford)
http://www.mandateforplayfullearning.com/
Please check out our doctoral program at
http://www.udel.edu/education/graduate/index.html
The late Mary Dunn said, "Life is the time we have to learn."