synonyms in a bilingual child's lexicon

Margaret Fleck margaretmfleck at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 23:53:42 UTC 2010

One important special case for monolingual children involves thosewho deal regularly with more than one dialect, e.g. father vs. motheror home vs. daycare.    Whether or not they use more than one ofa synonym pair, they need to understand both.
For example, British empire vs. American yields pairs for small kidslike nappy/diaper, trousers/pants, pants/undies, biscuit/cookie, biscuit/scone, chips/fries, crisps/chips.   The biscuit/cookie pairis very important for small kids, because cookies are an extremelyimportant object in their lives.
I'm just looking at some diary data for my middle kid and I have cookiefrom <= 17 months, and biscuit meaning cookie at 18.
It's really common these days for the parents and the most important coupledaycare providers to represent more than one dialect.    Someone mustsurely have data?
Margaret