dominance

Roberta Golinkoff Roberta at udel.edu
Fri Mar 26 17:58:31 UTC 2010

Perhaps you could attach the paper for all of us!
All best, Roberta Golinkoff

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Henrietta Lempert <
lempert at psych.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Could you kindly add me to your preprint/link list?
> Many thanks,
> Henrietta
> > Dear Maja
> > I have proposed a measure based on indices of lexical richness, which can
> > be used with children as well as adults.
> > This article will appear next year in the International Journal of
> > Bilingualism.
> >
> > Treffers-Daler, J. (in press) Operationalising and measuring language
> > dominance.
> >
> > Can send you an advance copy if you're interested.
> >
> > best wishes
> > Jeanine
> > Abstract
> > The aim of this article is to show how measures of lexical richness
> > (Guiraud 1954; Malvern, Richards, Chipere and Durán, 2004) can be used to
> > operationalise and measure language dominance among bilinguals. A
> typology
> > of bilinguals is proposed based on these measures of lexical richness,
> and
> > the validity of the typology is then investigated in an empirical study
> > among two groups of bilingual informants with different language
> dominance
> > profiles (25 Dutch-French bilinguals from Brussels and 24 French-English
> > bilinguals from Paris). The most important advantage of the proposed
> > operationalisation is that it allows researchers carry out precise
> > measurements of bilingual ability in languages or language varieties for
> > which no standardised tests exist and that these measures can be
> > calculated on oral data that have been collected in an informal and
> > unobtrusive way, in a naturalistic setting.
> >
> > best wishes
> > Jeanine
> > =========================
> > Professor Jeanine Treffers-Daller
> > Professor of Linguistics
> > Department of Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies
> > School of Humanities, Languages and Social Sciences
> > Faculty of Social Science and Humanities
> > Frenchay Campus
> > Coldharbour Lane
> > Bristol
> > BS16 1QY
> > tel. 00-44-117-3282390
> > Room 4D02
> >
> > ________________________________

Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph. D.
H. Rodney Sharp Professor
School of Education and Departments of Psychology and Linguistics and
Cognitive Science
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
Office: 302-831-1634; Fax: 302-831-4110
Web page: http://udel.edu/~roberta/
Author of "A Mandate for Playful Learning in Preschool: Presenting the
Evidence" (Oxford)
http://www.mandateforplayfullearning.com/
Please check out our doctoral program at
http://www.udel.edu/education/graduate/index.html
The late Mary Dunn said, "Life is the time we have to learn."