dominant language

Bruno Estigarribia brunilda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 19:43:45 UTC 2010

Forgive the silly question. This is not my field but the following
struck me as counterintuitive so I want to make sure this is what was
intended:
"For example, in order to be a highly proficient in a certain language a
speaker does have to be dominant in that language."
Isn't the converse more intuitively sensible? You can, I guess, be
highly proficient in two languages but (I want to say, by definition
almost), only dominant in one of them. Am I missing something (perhaps
in the literature) that contradicts this?
Just curious.
Bruno
--
Bruno Estigarribia