dominant language

Ekaterina Smyk ekaterina.smyk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 00:09:29 UTC 2010

Well, it seems to me that a speaker can be considered as “always” more
proficient in the dominant language only if dominance is defined based on a
relative proficiency in two languages. However, if language proficiency is
considered as a distinct construct (e.g., as a level of linguistic
attainment), then the relations between dominance and proficiency can vary.
For example, a speaker may be dominant in L2, but be more proficient in L1.
There are numerous operational definitions of language dominance and
proficiency so I am sure some people may disagree with me. I would be very
interested in hearing other opinions as well.
Katya