mystery book (children who begin speaking in sentences)

Celeste Kidd ckidd at bcs.rochester.edu
Wed Mar 31 05:34:19 UTC 2010

Hi, Jesse (& all).

I don't think it's likely that these are the books you are looking for,
since they were only published in 1998 (does that count as years and
years ago?) and they don't quite follow the flow you describe
(evaluating various claims, then reaching a maybe reasonable
conclusion), but I thought it might be helpful to point them out in case
you hadn't already encountered them in your most recent search. Thomas
Sowell's "Late-Talking Children" and "The Einstein Syndrome: Bright
Children Who Talk Late" make reference to these sorts of claims. On page
18 of "Einstein", Thomas Sowell writes:

"In short, there is no standard way in which late-talking children like
these finally begin to speak ... Some begin to speak as other children
do, first in babbles and isolated words, and then proceed in stages
toward normal speech, only later than other children. In other cases,
however, children with delayed speech development did not coo or babble
as other infants do, but remained silent right up to the moment where
they suddenly startle their parents by speaking a complete sentence."

He makes reference to kids in his own and Stephen Camarata's studies on
late-talkers in this chapter. I am not sure about the reliability of
these claims, as I have not actually sought out and read the studies he
refers to. A Dateline NBC episode on Camarata I saw in high school
called my attention to these.

Sowell mentions a bunch of famous sentences-before-words claims and
claimers, like hydrogen-bomb inventor Edward Teller, Nobel-prize winning
economist Gary Becker and physicist Richard Feynman. He also talks about
a lot of acquaintances-of-friends who talked late and in whole
sentences. I checked his website in the hopes of finding something more
about the studies he refers to, but didn't find them. I did find a link
to an article where Sowell expresses his skepticism that global warming
is a thing though
(http://www.creators.com/opinion/thomas-sowell.html?columnsName=tso),
which is perhaps an indication of the value Sowell places on empirical
evidence when making claims.

Good luck in your search!

Cheers,
Celeste

CELESTE KIDD | Brain & Cognitive Sciences
Meliora Hall 323F, Box 270268
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627-0268
Email: ckidd at bcs.rochester.edu
Web: www.bcs.rochester.edu/people/ckidd/
Mobile: 617 515 2461