mystery book (children who begin speaking in sentences)

snedeker at wjh.harvard.edu snedeker at wjh.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 31 03:01:28 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

Years and years ago I ran into a book when wandering through the
library stacks and I've never been able to find it again.  The topic
was on children who are reported to skip the early stages of language
production and launch immediately begin into full sentences.  The
author tried to track down some cases and concluded (if I remember
correctly) that there did appear to be some valid reports but they
were rarer than is usually believed.

Does anyone remember this book?  Or for that matter any other evidence
validating this claim.  It crops up from time to time in review
chapters and books but I can never figure out the origin of the claim.

gratefully,
Jesse Snedeker