IASCL award for contributions to the field

Ping Li pul8 at psu.edu
Sat May 15 19:28:33 UTC 2010

Dear Elena,

Many thanks for your message. I would like to add a clarification in terms
of the symposium. The symposium was an idea floating among a few of Brian's
close colleagues and former students starting at the end of last year
(before the 'one million mark' discussions), and the original intention was
to keep it as a surprise to Brian. A great many other ideas and issues arose
following the discussions on info-childes (and off info-childes) after the
'one million mark' postings.  The latest plan on this side (after consulting
with Brian, not a surprise anymore though, which proved to be difficult
anyway) is to organize a special symposium in honor of Brian's work that
bridges L1 and L2 acquisition. The details of this are still being worked
out, and I have been in touch with Henri Cohen on this.  But please note
that the planned symposium will be on issues independent of the CHILDES's
contributions to the field.

With best wishes,

Ping

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Lieven, Elena <lieven at eva.mpg.de> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've been reading with interest and enthusiasm all the messages about
> (a) some kind of celebration symposium, at the IASCL conference in
> Montreal, of CHILDES and Brian's work and (b) some kind of (?
> triennial) award (?the 'Roger Brown' award) for outstanding service to
> the field.
>
> In the case of the symposium, I gather that Ping Li has this in hand
> and is in discussions with Henri Cohen, the Conference Organiser and
> others.
>
> In the case of the proposed award, a formal proposal has to be made to
> the IASCL committee and, since money is involved, if the committee
> approve it, it would have to be forwarded to the IASCL board (which
> meets on June 28th).  I am happy to work with people on this if they
> contact me.
>
> all the best
> Elena Lieven
> President, IASCL

Ping Li, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Linguistics, Information Sciences & Technology
Department of Psychology and Center for Language Science
Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802, USA
Email: pul8 at psu.edu
http://cogsci.psu.edu