children and non-literal meaning ... again

Aliyah MORGENSTERN aliyah.morgenstern at gmail.com
Fri May 28 15:51:14 UTC 2010

Dear Anat and Kristen,
we find exactly the same thing in French (but we only looked at three
children and their parents and 6 verbal constructions so far).
Best,
Aliyah MORGENSTERN

Professeur de linguistique
Université Sorbonne Nouvelle - Paris 3
Institut du Monde Anglophone
5 rue de l'Ecole de Médecine
75006 Paris

Le 28 mai 10 à 16:17, Anat Ninio a écrit :

> [...]
>> stringent requirements for literal language.  Adults'  familiarity
>> with metonymy in their own discourse might make children's earliest
>> denotations easy and unremarkable for them to understand.
>>
>> I hear from people occasionally on this topic, but I haven't
>> pursued it. I confess I did not follow up on the interesting
>> summaries other Infochildes-ers sent you in January.  I especially
>> do not have a clear way to test where on the slope between literal
>> and figurative many uses fall, but will be interested if you decide
>> to try.  I probably don't have an electronic version of my
>> dissertation to pull out the review of the literature (which was
>> quite amusing to read--the literature, that is).  The JCL article
>> has a few references like Chukovsky and Verbrugge (1979) which may
>> spur your thinking further.
>>
>> Keep us posted.
>> Barbara Pearson
>>
>> On May 28, 2010, at 4:34 AM, Isenthia wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> some time ago I asked for literature on when children start to
>>> understand non-literal language like metaphor, etc. First of all,
>>> thanks for the answers you gave on that point.
>>>
>>> Today I want to ask a related question, arising from my very limited
>>> private experience with the kind of language a young child might be
>>> exposed to.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that caretakers do not consciously or deliberatelty
>>> concentrate on only using expressions literally and that children
>>> therefore might learn to understand and later to use expressions
>>> right
>>> from the beginning, as it were, with what might be called a non-
>>> literal meaning. Do you have any comments to make on this?
>>>
>>> Maybe an example makes clearer what I have in mind. There is this
>>> expression in German `dei dei' which roughly means `to sleep'.
>>> Recently I noticed that my mother, when she was talking to my son
>>> (15
>>> months), used `dei dei' to refer to/explain her putting away a
>>> remote
>>> control he had been playing with. Intuitively, it seems to me that
>>> her
>>> use of `dei dei' is related in meaning to the `to sleep' meaning,
>>> but
>>> deviates from it. The question is whether it is necessarily the case
>>> that a child in being exposed to these kinds of uses of an
>>> expression
>>> first has to grasp what intuitively seems to be the underlying
>>> meaning
>>> and then derives other uses from that or whether he simply will
>>> treat
>>> the expression initially as if it were polysemous and only in a
>>> later
>>> step connects the meanings in some way with one another.
>>>
>>> I hope this makes sense. The point I would like to establish is that
>>> it is possible to intuitively judge a particular meaning as
>>> from what, again intuitively, feels like the underlying meaning,