children and non-literal meaning ... again

Lorraine McCune mccune at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri May 28 20:40:53 UTC 2010

Dear Kristen,

My early work was on the development of
representational play during the second year of
life. When children can convey non-literal
meaning through play, they are engaging in a
metaphor of action. If you look closely at how
their uses of a given word extend across events,
you will see that a non-literal aspect is seen
there as well. Words that refer to dynamic
aspects of events are particularly salient. While
one can say there is something literally similar
across uses, the extension from one situation to the next does involve analogy.

Examples of open:

Shanti—Gesturing at toy milk bottle she wants mother to open
Prior to opening the jack-in-the-box
Taking bottle after mother opens it
Janis—Pushing on cover of workbench, trying to open it
Trying to open book
Mira—Trying to get object out of bottle that is already opened

or some for "allgone":

Janis—Showing mother an empty juice cup
Looking in empty bucket when toys have been removed
Setting a book down when finished with it
Meri—Looking in empty bottle after removing objects
Holding up blanket; answering mother’s question, “What happened
to the baby?”
Mira—Looking in empty cup;her juice gone.
Shanti—Waving her empty juice glass in the air
After dumping an object from the large bottle
Searching for a doll
Looking for more objects to put in the bottle after the appropriate
ones have been put in

bye-bye  (Used as "allgone" by some.)
Janis—Dropping lid in pot
Before and while closing the lid on the jack-in-the-box
Putting objects in the bottle
Covering mother’s face with her hair

The bye-bye use is reminiscent of your example
re: sleep. I believe the children do their
extending by analogy in general because  few
situations involving extension of meaning are
exactly the same as one another. Because there is
some sense of similarity across uses, children's
early words are usually described as naming
"categories". However, it may be that they are
simply reminded of prior uses of words in new
situations by analogical extension. The
similarities lead us to define these as
categories. If the child's use is too far off, we
term it an "over-extension". The fact that they
engage in levels of representational play
requiring analogical processes suggests that
these processes are available for language as well.

Lorraine