adult-to-adult conversations in digital format?

Virginia Valian vvvstudents at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:21:37 UTC 2011

Dear CHILDES community,

I am looking for adult-to-adult conversations, in American English (so the
BNC is out), that have been transcribed and are in digital format.  I want
to compare adult-to-adult speech with adult-to-child speech.  CHILDES (thank
you, Brian) gives us thousands of hours of adult-to-child.  I don't need
*thousands* of hours of adult-to-adult but I would like several hours of
normal conversation.  Hence, I do not want very short routine phone
conversations.  Nor do I want academic conversations, including
student-to-student conversations about difficult topics like DNA.  CoCA is
not usable because one can only search it, not download whole
conversations.  Suggestions will be gratefully received either via this list
or to me at virginia.valian at hunter.cuny.edu

Sincerely,

Virginia Valian
Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychology, Hunter College
PhD Programs in Linguistics, Psychology, and Speech-Language-Hearing
Sciences, CUNY Grad Center
vvvstudents at gmail.com