adult-to-adult conversations in digital format?

John K Pate j.k.pate at sms.ed.ac.uk
Mon Aug 8 14:33:17 UTC 2011

> I am looking for adult-to-adult conversations, in American English (so
> the BNC is out), that have been transcribed and are in digital format.
> I want to compare adult-to-adult speech with adult-to-child speech.
> CHILDES (thank you, Brian) gives us thousands of hours of
> adult-to-child.  I don't need *thousands* of hours of adult-to-adult
> but I would like several hours of normal conversation.  Hence, I do
> not want very short routine phone conversations.  Nor do I want
> academic conversations, including student-to-student conversations
> about difficult topics like DNA.  CoCA is not usable because one can
> only search it, not download whole conversations.  Suggestions will be
> gratefully received either via this list or to me at
> virginia.valian at hunter.cuny.edu

I don't know if you would consider these to be very short routine phone
conversations, but you might want to look at the Switchboard corpus of
adult dialogues:

http://groups.inf.ed.ac.uk/switchboard/

My supervisor Sharon Goldwater and I recently used this corpus (together
with part of the Brent corpus) to compare predictability effects in
adult-directed speech and infant-directed speech:

http://palm.mindmodeling.org/cogsci2011/papers/0354/index.html

John

==
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.