IRB Needed for Writing Papers on CHILDES database info?

Katherine O'Donnell odonnka1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 20:10:47 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm very excited about both CLAN and the databases of CHIlDES.  I hope to
use CLAN as a tool for research  and contribute my own corpus of data,
bilingual children attending a school.

I have a few questions...

1) Is this just for observational data, or is there any interest in
collecting interview data, too?  I plan to conduct interviews with parents
and students, and I wonder whether this would be of interest as a part of
the database.

2)  I assume many have gotten IRB approval to have data in this database.
 Is there a way to keep it under a password, accessible to only certain
people in academia?  Does it need to be on the consent/assent forms that the
participants sign?

3)  Also, are we allowed to use the data that is already on the database, or
would we need to go through IRB?

Thanks,
Katie