IRB Needed for Writing Papers on CHILDES database info?

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sat Feb 12 21:35:59 UTC 2011

Dear Katie,
     These are, of course, important questions.  There is a discussion of these issues in some web pages  that you can reach from the CHILDES home page by clicking on the second button on the page titled "Guidelines for Contributors".  You will probablly want to read all of this, particularly the "OPTIONS summary".
     Interview data are typically less interesting than adult-child interactions.  However, several databases in CHILDES include this.  It is particularly nice to have this type of material when it is clearly separated out from the interactional data.  In that case, it can be used a baseline for some comparisons and sometimes the interview itself has interesting material.
    Yes password protection is definitely possible.  However, it complicates life for the user.  So, unless there is something really embarrassing in the interaction, most contributors have opted to avoid password protection.  The level of access you are requesting should be clearly stated in the consent forms.
    There is no need to go through an IRB to use data in the database.

-- Brian MacWhinney