Vocabulary assessment in bilingual children

Annick De Houwer annickej at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 14:05:03 UTC 2011

Dear Leher,

I would strongly advise using the CDI. I know it is not usually used
to measure receptive vocabulary, but the Dutch CDI (Toddler form) does
include receptive vocabulary and the parents in our study of Dutch-
French bilingual toddlers had no trouble ticking those Dutch words
they thought their 20-month-old understood. Of course, you're dealing
with older children, but I think that if the main purpose is to have a
rough idea of comparative vocabulary size in each language it is OK to
use the CDI as suggested. However, there are some methodological
issues involved in collecting the data. A description of how we did
this for a group of bilingual children can be found in

De Houwer, A., M.H. Bornstein & S. De Coster, 2006. Early
understanding of two words for the same thing: A CDI study of lexical
comprehension in infant bilinguals. International journal of
bilingualism 10(3): 331-348.

Good luck!

Annick
De Houwer