a question about multilingual babies

Edith Maria Schlag e_schlag at hotmail.com
Mon May 9 05:20:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

just to add a personal experience (in full awareness that it is in no way representative):

My son grew up under similar conditions: he was exposed to 3 languages at home (my husband (1), me (2) and English (3) as the language between my husband and me)
and one (4) at the nursery from 10 months onwards. He only spoke and understood those languages he was addressed by (French, German, Dutch), he seemed not to pick up English which he heard from the conversation between my husband and me. Dutch ended up being the dominant language (the language of the environment). By the time my son was almost 4, we moved away from the Netherlands. After about 4 months of no exposure to Dutch, he no longer understood nor spoke the language. That was a surprise. Multilingualism is quite dynamic as it seems.

He is 6,7 years old now and he speaks French, German and English. He learned English at school from 4 years onwards which he picked up quickly (possibly because of exposure at home). There weren't any problems in respect to social-emotional development. I am surprised that autism is mentioned as a risk factor. He also has no problems at school, on the contrary.

Just to give one example where exposure to 4 languages, at least in the first 4 years, were no problem.

Best wishes,

Edith

Edith Schlag, MSc, MPhil
Abu Dhabi