posting from Joanne

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon May 9 20:54:33 UTC 2011

Here is note from Joanne Paradis that she is having trouble posting.  So I am sending it for her.

-- Brian MacWhinney

Dear colleagues

I would like to add my voice to the majority of you who have strongly supported early bilingualism in your comments.  My professional experience as a researcher of early bilingualism and language disorders, as well as my experience as a mother of two bilingual-from-birth children, lead me to to unequivocally support early bilingualism.  In particular, there is no research evidence that children with language delay and disorders - even autism - have their condition exacerbated by bilingualism; existing research suggests the contrary.  In addition, there are numerous reasons based on family and societal context that point to bilingualism as the best or only choice for children with language disorders.

Fred Genesee, Martha Crago and I have dealt with many of the issues that have come forward in this discussion in the second edition of our book: Dual language development and disorders.  A link to the book and a Q&A with the authors is below.  (I hope you will forgive this "self-promotion").

Paradis, J., Genesee, F., & Crago, M. (2010). Dual language development and disorders: A handbook on bilingualism and second language learning (2nd Edition). Baltimore, MD: Brookes. http://www.brookespublishing.com/store/books/paradis-70588/index.htm

-Johanne