colour adjectives

Jean Berko Gleason jean.berko.gleason at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 22:25:37 UTC 2011

Hi

The age at which kids know color words has changed downward over the past
hundred years in fairly dramatic fashion.  Early in the 20th century
children did not know the basic words until they were about 7.  Now, most
of the 11 basic color words in the standard (e.g. Berlin and Kay) hierarchy
are in (many) children's productive vocabularies by about the age of 2 and
a half.  The introduction of big boxes of crayons, first, and of Sesame
Street later may have contributed to this earlier knowledge.  You can get
productive norms by examining the MacArthur Bates Communicative
Inventories, available online.   We  reported on a study of the use of
color terms by children and parents and summarized the literature to that
point in a paper in 1998.  Hope this helps!

Ely, R.  & Gleason, J.  Berko.  (1998).  What Color is the Cat?  Color
Words in Parent-Child Conversations.  In A. Aksu-Ko, E.  Erguvanli-Taylan,
A.  Sumru Ozsoy, & A.  Kuntay (Eds.)  *Perspectives on Language
Acquisition: Selected Papers from the VIIth International Congress for the
Study of Child Language.*  Istanbul: Bogazici University.

--
Jean Berko Gleason
Professor Emerita, Department of Psychology

http://www.bu.edu/psych/faculty/gleason/