Melissa Bowerman

koc at boun.edu.tr koc at boun.edu.tr
Thu Nov 3 09:09:12 UTC 2011

I am also very saddened at Melissa's loss. Her work has been one of the most
inspiring sourcesfor many of us in the field. I feel priviledged to have known
her warm and generous person.

Ayhan Aksu-Koc
Bogazici University

<<mailto:roeper at linguist.umass.edu>roeper at linguist.umass.edu<mailto:roeper at linguist.umass.edu>>
> wrote:
> Melissa Bowerman was a splendid human being and a friend of mine for 35
> years.    She delighted in the human qualities of children's utterances as
> well as their
> theoretical interest and I think that quality enabled her to explore many
> semantically demanding questions with a sense of the human being behind them.
>  We enjoyed
> many conversations at MPI and elsewhere---and her loss came too soon.
>      I hope family can cherish and nurture many inspiring memories of her.
>
> Tom Roeper
>

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Philip Dale
> <<mailto:dalep at unm.edu>dalep at unm.edu<mailto:dalep at unm.edu>> wrote:
> Some years ago, Roger Brown introduced Melissa as “the Jane Austen of
> psycholinguistics,” which seemed then, and now, to be wonderfully apt.
Her
> [...]
> field of child language development, contributing influential data and theory
> on the relations between language and cognition in both children and adults.
> She was one of the first to look closely at what children’s errors
could
> reveal about semantic development and published classic studies of her own
> children’s causative verbs and prepositional choices in locative
> constructions. What she discovered from her analyses was that children
> extract systematic but quite abstract patterns in the semantic structure of
> the language being acquired. Moreover, some errors emerge rather late, after
> a period of apparently correct usage. This strongly suggested that children
> don’t come to language with ready-made meanings to attach to
word-forms.
> Rather, they have to discover those patterns first and then put them to use.
>
> Bowerman was always interdisciplinary in her work: she drew on findings from
> developmental psychology, cognitive and linguistic anthropology, and
> linguistics. She was a pioneer in the use of experimental and ethnographic
> data, across a range of languages, as she examined how language shapes both
> cognitive and linguistic development in the young child, and how different
> languages subtly influence adult categorization of such spatial relations as
> containment and support.
>
> She was an innovator in the methods she used in her research, using
> correspondence analysis and multidimensional scaling to analyze data as she
> explored the conceptual bases of semantic categories. She made especially
> important contributions in her research on spatial cognition and language,
> linguistic argument structure, event representation, and children’s
emerging
> linguistic expressions of causality. On the theoretical side, she always
> sought to disentangle what might be innate from what could be learned in
> first language acquisition, and her insights as well as her findings cast new
> light on typology, language universals, and human cognition. Throughout her
> life, she focussed on how individual languages could have particular effects
> on the course and content of language development, and what the implications
> were for adult mental life.
>
> Melissa Bowerman had a perpetually inquiring mind, and was fascinated by all
> kinds of domains –– from birds, plants, knots, and dreams to her
flute music.
> She would always find a new angle on the domain under discussion and pursue
> it with curiosity and interest, so lunchtimes at the Max-Planck- Institute of
> Psycholinguistics where she spent most of her professional life, were a
> constant source of enjoyment for whoever was there. She was modest, generous,
> lucid, and always scholarly in her approach.
>
> She is survived by her husband Wijbrandt van Schuur, her three
> daughters––Christy, Eva, and Claartje––and four
grandchildren.