phonemes in early lexicon - reference

Nina Gram Garmann n.g.garmann at iln.uio.no
Mon Sep 19 07:37:16 UTC 2011

Hi Susanne,

Stoel-Gammon, C. (2010) Relationships between lexical and phonological
development in young children. J. Child Language, p. 15 touches this
question, and refers to Stoel-Gammon, C (1998)Sounds and words in early
language acquistion: the relationship between lexical and phonological
development. In R. Paul (ed.) Exploring the speech-language connection,
25-53. Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes.

Good luck!
Nina

On 19-09-11 00:55, Virginia Dubasik wrote:
> Hi Susanne,
> The following references may help you answer your question:
>
> 1. Stoel-Gammon, C. & Dunn, C. (1985). Normal and disordered phonology in children.
> 2. Stoel-Gammon, C. (1985). Phonetic inventories, 15-24 months: A longitudinal study.
> * Stoel-Gammon has several others!
> 3. Velten, H. (1943). The growth of phonemic and lexical patterns in infant language.
> 4. Fee, E. (1995). Segments and syllables in early language acquisition.
> 5. Vihman, M. & Greenlee, M. (1987). Individual differences in phonological development: Ages one and three years.
> 6. Ferguson, C. A., & Farwell, C. B. (1975). Words and sounds in early language acquisition.
> 7. de Boysson-Bardies, B., & Vihman, M. M. (1991).
>
> You may also want to look at David Ingram's work, as several of his participants were in the early stages of phonological acquisition/first words.
>
> I hope these help!
> Virginia
>

> Virginia Dubasik
> Arizona State University

Nina Gram Garmann
Postdoktor

+47 22857778
+47 993 13 193

Institutt for lingvistiske og nordiske studier,
Postboks 1102 Blindern,
0317 Oslo

Department of Linguistics and Scandinavian Studies,
P.O. Box 1102 Blindern,
N-0317 Oslo
Norway