phonemes in early lexicon - reference

Lorraine McCune mccune at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 19 13:26:19 UTC 2011

Marilyn Vihman and I found that in children studied from 9 to 16 months,
that p/b was the most frequent consonant used in "stable words" (those
produced in both months 15 and 16), with a mean of 40%, across the 9 early
talkers who qualified for inclusion in the analysis by producing some of the
same words in both sessions. Other consonants used varied greatly by
individual child, with those consonants previously established as Vocal
Motor Schemes (by frequency of occurrence across sessions) for each child
occurring in over 90% of stable words.

McCune, L. and Vihman, M.M. (2001). Early phonetic and lexical development:
A productivity approach. *Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research,
* *44, **670-684.*

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Virginia Dubasik
<Virginia.Dubasik at asu.edu>wrote:

> Hi Susanne,
> The following references may help you answer your question:
>
> 1. Stoel-Gammon, C. & Dunn, C. (1985). Normal and disordered phonology in
> children.
> 2. Stoel-Gammon, C. (1985). Phonetic inventories, 15-24 months: A
> longitudinal study.
> * Stoel-Gammon has several others!
> 3. Velten, H. (1943). The growth of phonemic and lexical patterns in infant
> language.
> 4. Fee, E. (1995). Segments and syllables in early language acquisition.
> 5. Vihman, M. & Greenlee, M. (1987). Individual differences in phonological
> development: Ages one and three years.
> 6. Ferguson, C. A., & Farwell, C. B. (1975). Words and sounds in early
> language acquisition.
> 7. de Boysson-Bardies, B., & Vihman, M. M. (1991).
>
> You may also want to look at David Ingram's work, as several of his
> participants were in the early stages of phonological acquisition/first
> words.
>
> I hope these help!
> Virginia
>

> Virginia Dubasik
> Arizona State University

Lorraine McCune, EdD
Chair, Department of Educational Psychology
Graduate School of Education
Rutgers University
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901