Detecting Embedded Tensed Clauses

Tom Roeper roeper at linguist.umass.edu
Thu Aug 23 13:19:56 UTC 2012

DEar Adam----

If you figure out a useful program for this----I would be interested.
There are going to be
very tough cases like:
       I saw that John hit Bill
where "hit" has no tense markings, but we understand it that way.
    So how about first just looking for the overt cases, with -ed, etc.
Then you
might look for all cases under tensed matrix verbs, and seek a subset of
those
with ambiguous verbs.
    Ultimately, if you are sensitive to verb variation in your
instructions, you will
probably be able to be reasonably successful.  If you take an overly simple
approach---
as many searches do--the results will be uninterpretable.

  If you succeed, I'd like to see the results.

best, Tom Roeper

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Adam Goodkind <a.goodkind at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using the various search protocols and meta-data levels, is it possible to
> detect embedded tensed clauses, i.e. embedded clauses with a tensed verb? I
> have been trying to create a combination of criteria, involving, e.g.
> CPRED, COMP, CJCT, CMOD, CPZR, etc., but with a low success rate.
>
> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam
>
> --
> *Adam Goodkind *