Full CDI with children up to 40 months HELP PLEASE

Rowland, Caroline crowland at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 09:38:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any full CDI that has been used with children over 30 months of age (but would also really like to find out if there is one).

But you really need to compare your children with other UK children rather than US children as there are strong hints that UK children may be significantly slower than US children (at least as measured by the CDI).

As well as Caroline Floccia's CDIs, try Kerstin Meints, who has a lot of data from the Lincoln CDI (http://auth.lincoln.ac.uk/psychology/babylab.htm), Kim Plunkett who has a huge amount of data from the Oxford CDI (http://babylab.psy.ox.ac.uk/research/oxford-cdi ) and Thomas Klee's Newcastle CDI data (http://www.cmds.canterbury.ac.nz/people/klee.shtml). You could ask Penny Roy at City University who created a CDI type measure for Sure Start programs. However, I think their measure is based on the short form CDI (100 or 50 words).

Both Kim (at Oxford) and Kerstin (at Lincoln) have made their datasets available online, which you may also find useful. Kim also has a really neat vocabulary estimator that you can use to estimate total vocabulary from CDI scores, which you can find on Oxford's babylab website.

However, as far as I'm aware, none of these datasets are representative of the UK population. I think most are from parents who have volunteered for studies, so I expect low SES groups are under-represented (I'm sure Caroline, Kim, Tom and Kerstin will put me right if I have misrepresented their datasets).

Unfortunately in about 2 years time you will have exactly what you need, for children aged 8 to 18 months at least. We have just received ESRC money to create a standardised UK-CDI: Words and Gestures, and to collect CDI data from children across the UK - stratified by demographics like SES, region and nations etc. But I guess you can't wait that long...

Best wishes,

Caro

Dr Caroline Rowland CPsychol AFBPsS
Senior Lecturer
Department of Experimental Psychology
Institute of Psychology Health and Society
Eleanor Rathbone Building
University of Liverpool
LIVERPOOL
L69 7ZA