popularity of baby signs in other countries?

Mats Andrén mats.andren at ling.lu.se
Thu Jan 5 16:32:09 UTC 2012

This is just from my own experience so I don't know how well this
corresponds to reality. Nevertheless, I am a gesture researcher with an
interest in children's gestures, so there has been plenty of occasions
where I have (informally) discussed gesture and gesture-like phenomena
with Swedish parents.

It seems to me that it is at least relatively common for Swedish parents
to be familiar with the general idea although they rarely seem to be
aware of the term "baby sign" (or some Swedish equivalent) as such.
Actually using baby sign seems very rare however, although it is not
entirely non-existent. I have only encountered two children whose
parents have told me they have attempted to use baby sign in one form or
another at home. One of these two children is visually impaired, plus
some other issues, so in that case there was some additional motivation
for trying to use baby sign (as well as other methods that would
supposedly enhance communication/development).

Best regards,
Mats Andrén