Relationship between Play and Language

Roberta Golinkoff Roberta at udel.edu
Mon Jul 2 13:14:16 UTC 2012

Hi Sara - see *A Mandate for Playful Learning in Preschool* -- it's a book
written by Hirsh-Pasek and me and Berk and Singer and it has a section that
talks about the role of play in language development.

All best,
Roberta Golinkoff
p.s. I would love to see your biblio when you finish!

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Jean Berko Gleason <
jean.berko.gleason at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hello Sara
>
> I had a look to see if we published anything with 'play' in the title, and
> found the following 2, which you may have found, but in any event here the
> references are.   Good luck in your work!
>
> Jean Berko Gleason
>

>  Masur, E. and Gleason, J. Berko. (1980). Parent-child interaction  and
> the acquisition of lexical information during play*.  Developmental
> Psychology, 16, *404-409.
>

>  Leaper, C. & Gleason, J. Berko. (1996). The relationship of play
> activity and gender to parent and child sex-typed communication.  *International
> Journal of Behavioral Development, 19*, 689-703.   ****
>

>  ****
>

> On 7/1/2012 10:38 PM, Sara Quinn wrote:
>
> Dear list members,
>
> I am a PhD candidate at the Australian National University and I am in the
> process of conducting an exhaustive search of studies that have examined
> the relationship between play and language in young children. My hope is to
> conduct a meta-analysis of this data. To reduce publication bias I am
> looking for both published and unpublished data.
>
> I have exhausted the usual databases and have found what I think is a
> majority if not all published studies, but would welcome suggestions or
> contributions of unpublished works.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Sara Quinn
>

>  --

Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph. D.
H. Rodney Sharp Professor
School of Education and Departments of Psychology and Linguistics and
Cognitive Science
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
Office: 302-831-1634; Fax: 302-831-4110
Web page: http://udel.edu/~roberta/
Author of "A Mandate for Playful Learning in Preschool: Presenting the
Evidence" (Oxford)
    http://www.mandateforplayfullearning.com/
Please check out our doctoral program at
http://www.udel.edu/education/graduate/index.html
The late Mary Dunn said, "Life is the time we have to learn."