Book announcement : Gesture and Multimodal development

Guidetti Michèle guidetti at univ-tlse2.fr
Thu Jun 14 13:37:53 UTC 2012

Gesture and Multimodal Development

Edited by Jean-Marc Colletta and Michèle Guidetti

Université Stendhal - Grenoble 3 / Université Toulouse 2

We gesture while we talk and children use gestures prior to words to communicate during the first year. Later, as words become the preferred form of communication, children continue to gesture to reinforce or extend the spoken messages or even to replace them. This volume, originally published as a Special Issue of Gesture 10:2/3 (2010), brings together studies from language acquisition and developmental psychology. It provides a review of common theoretical, methodological and empirical themes, and the contributions address topics such as gesture use in prelinguistic infants with a special and new focus on pointing, the relationship between gestures and lexical development in typically developing and deaf children and even how gesture can help to learn mathematics. All in all, it brings additional evidence on how gestures are related to language, communication and mind development.

[Benjamins Current Topics, 39] 2012. xii, 223 pp.

http://benjamins.com/#catalog/books/bct.39/main

Table of contents

About the authors

Introduction

Gesture and multimodal development

Michèle Guidetti and Jean-Marc Colletta

Articles

Pointing gesture in young children: Hand preference and language development

Hélène Cochet and Jacques Vauclair

Support or competition? Dynamic development of the relationship between manual pointing and symbolic gestures from 6 to 18 months of age

Claire D. Vallotton

>From gesture to sign and from gesture to word: Pointing in deaf and hearing children

Aliyah Morgenstern, Stéphanie Caët, Marie Collombel-Leroy, Fanny Limousin and Marion Blondel

How the hands control attention during early word learning

Nancy de Villiers Rader and Patricia Zukow-Goldring

Infant movement as a window into language processing

Laurel Fais, Julia Leibowich, Ladan Hamadani and Lana Ohira

Children’s lexical skills and task demands affect gestural behavior in mothers of late-talking children and children with typical language development

Angela Grimminger, Katharina J. Rohlfing and Prisca Stenneken

The type of shared activity shapes caregiver and infant communication

Daniel Puccini, Mireille Hassemer, Dorothé Salomo and Ulf Liszkowski

Transcribing and annotating multimodality: How deaf children’s productions call into the question the analytical tools

Agnès Millet and Isabelle Estève

Mathematical learning and gesture: Character viewpoint and observer viewpoint in students’ gestured graphs of functions

Susan Gerofsky

“This collection of papers presents a wonderful and vast overview of contemporary research on gesture and multimodal development, representing multiple theoretical and applied perspectives. [...] It constitutes a major contribution not only to the study of gestural and multimodal development, but also to the understanding of cognitive and communicative development in a more broad sense.”

Olga Capirci, ISTC – CNR

“Looking at a variety of languages, input conditions, and contexts of language use, these researchers demonstrate how language development is necessarily embodied and multimodal. These studies present exciting new insights into the dynamic relationships that are necessary for language development.”

Elena Nicoladis, University of Alberta, Canada