Book announcement : Gesture and Multimodal development

Lorraine McCune mccune at rci.rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 14 14:15:11 UTC 2012

Dear Michelle,

I will order this immediately! Very exciting. I will be in Paris working
with Maya Hickman 2012/2013, so hopefully we will meet during that time.

Sincerely,
Lorraine

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Guidetti Michèle <guidetti at univ-tlse2.fr>wrote:

> ** **
>
> *Gesture and Multimodal Development*****
>
> *Edited by Jean-Marc Colletta and Michèle Guidetti*****
>
> Université Stendhal - Grenoble 3 / Université Toulouse 2****
>
> ** **
>
> We gesture while we talk and children use gestures prior to words to
> communicate during the first year. Later, as words become the preferred
> form of communication, children continue to gesture to reinforce or extend
> the spoken messages or even to replace them. This volume, originally
> published as a Special Issue of *Gesture *10:2/3 (2010), brings together
> studies from language acquisition and developmental psychology. It provides
> a review of common theoretical, methodological and empirical themes, and
> the contributions address topics such as gesture use in prelinguistic
> infants with a special and new focus on pointing, the relationship between
> gestures and lexical development in typically developing and deaf children
> and even how gesture can help to learn mathematics. All in all, it brings
> additional evidence on how gestures are related to language, communication
> and mind development.****
>
> * *
>
> *[Benjamins Current Topics, 39] 2012. xii, 223 pp.*
>
> * *
>
> http://benjamins.com/#catalog/books/bct.39/main****
>
> * *
>
> ** **
>
> *Table of contents*****
>
> *About the authors*****
>
> *Introduction*****
>
> Gesture and multimodal development****
>
> *Michèle Guidetti and Jean-Marc Colletta*****
>
> *Articles*****
>
> Pointing gesture in young children: Hand preference and language
> development****
>
> *Hélène Cochet and Jacques Vauclair*****
>
> Support or competition? Dynamic development of the relationship between
> manual pointing and symbolic gestures from 6 to 18 months of age****
>
> *Claire D. Vallotton*****
>
> From gesture to sign and from gesture to word: Pointing in deaf and
> hearing children****
>
> *Aliyah Morgenstern, Stéphanie Caët, Marie Collombel-Leroy, Fanny
> Limousin and Marion Blondel*****
>
> How the hands control attention during early word learning****
>
> *Nancy de Villiers Rader and Patricia Zukow-Goldring*****
>
> Infant movement as a window into language processing****
>
> *Laurel Fais, Julia Leibowich, Ladan Hamadani and Lana Ohira*****
>
> Children’s lexical skills and task demands affect gestural behavior in
> mothers of late-talking children and children with typical language
> development****
>
> *Angela Grimminger, Katharina J. Rohlfing and Prisca Stenneken*****
>
> The type of shared activity shapes caregiver and infant communication****
>
> *Daniel Puccini, Mireille Hassemer, Dorothé Salomo and Ulf Liszkowski*****
>
> Transcribing and annotating multimodality: How deaf children’s productions
> call into the question the analytical tools****

> [...]

Lorraine McCune, EdD
Chair, Department of Educational Psychology
Graduate School of Education
Rutgers University
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901