pronoun errors of gender

Laura Snow lsnow at u.washington.edu
Sat Jun 16 21:31:34 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I'm trying to determine whether typically developing children ever make
errors in pronoun gender (e.g., reverse "he" and "she"), and if so,

1.     at what point in their language development (and for how long) do
these errors occur?

2.     are these errors consistent or intermittent during the time that they
occur?

3.     Do the errors occur mainly in cases of long-distance reference or
also with relatively simple utterances (e.g., pointing to a girl and saying,
"He has it")

In my clinical experiences, I have seen many children with autism who make
errors in pronoun gender, and many kids with language disorders (as well as
younger, typically developing kids) who make errors in pronoun case (e.g.,
"her have it").  I can't say that I've ever seen a child make a pronoun
gender error who did NOT have autism, but I'm having trouble finding
anything in the literature to back up that blanket statement.

I'm mainly interested in finding formal studies of children learning
English, but evidence that is anecdotal and/or from other languages would
also be useful!

Laura Snow, Ph.D., CCC-SLP

University of Washington

Center on Human Development and Disability

Seattle, WA