how idiosyncratic?

Philip Dale dalep at unm.edu
Tue Nov 20 01:15:41 UTC 2012

I did a project a few years ago constructing an index of vocabulary typicality. Basically I asked, if a child has a vocabulary of, say, 37 words, how typical is each of those 37, relative to other children with vocabulary of the same size, based on the norming sample on the CDI? The measure had some useful psychometric properties, and the program that computed it could identify particularly atypical words in a given child’s vocabulary relative to vocabulary size. Autistic children showed up as quite atypical, as you would want, but children with simple language delay did not. For various reasons, that paper never got published, but I’d be willing to share it.
Philip Dale