how idiosyncratic?

Barbara Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Tue Nov 20 01:52:50 UTC 2012

Dear Philip,
Yes, please send.  I sent something off-line to Elena, telling her about the word list at the end of Betty Hart's 1999 book that tells how many children and parents (of 42) said each word on the list at 3 different ages, with an indication of how common the word was.  I said I thought a mathematician could turn it into essentially what you describe.  I started to put "a mathematician like Phil Dale," but in the end, I deleted the Phil Dale part.  Looks like I was right!  Or rather, wrong to delete it.

Cheers,
Barbara

Btw, I find that many people do not know about the 1999 book: The Social World of Children Learning to Talk.  Lots of fascinating stuff in it.

On Nov 19, 2012, at 8:15 PM, Philip Dale wrote:

> I did a project a few years ago constructing an index of vocabulary typicality. Basically I asked, if a child has a vocabulary of, say, 37 words, how typical is each of those 37, relative to other children with vocabulary of the same size, based on the norming sample on the CDI? The measure had some useful psychometric properties, and the program that computed it could identify particularly atypical words in a given child’s vocabulary relative to vocabulary size. Autistic children showed up as quite atypical, as you would want, but children with simple language delay did not. For various reasons, that paper never got published, but I’d be willing to share it.
> Philip Dale

Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
Co-director, Language Acquisition Research Center (LARC)
Research Associate, Depts of Linguistics and   Communication Disorders
c/o 226 South College
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst MA 01003
413-545-5023