stats on IASCL meetings

Virginia Valian vvvstudents at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:35:14 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Brian MacWhinney and I are collaborating on a project we hope you will help
us with.  We would like to post on the IASCL site the statistics on the
numbers of contributors and attendees since the first meeting in 1975.  We
believe that we would see an enormous increase over the years.  Data of
this sort could be very useful for funding requests, especially for
international collaborations, since they would document the widespread
interest and value of work in child language.

Some of you were organizers, some contributors, some attendees.  Each of
you may have different information to convey.  Brian and I will attempt to
collate and organize the information so that it will be useful.  Perhaps
you have a program from one of the previous meetings.  If you could mail us
a copy or scan a copy, we will undertake to scan any programs we receive
and return the originals to their owners and perform the tabulations listed
below as well as others that you may suggest.

Even if all you know is that the meeting you attended did not have
concurrent sessions and met in a room that held no more than N people, that
would be helpful.  We have no way of knowing whether we will be flooded
with information or will receive almost none.  At present, we're hoping for
the former more than the latter!

Here is the information we are particularly interested in:
number of talks
number of posters
number of registered participants
number of faculty, post-docs, independent researchers, students
number of countries represented
number of languages reported on in a talk or poster
number of symposia
number of symposia with more than one country represented
invited addresses (with stats on country represented and sex)
organizers
location of meeting (e.g., a university, a convention center)

If there is other information you think it would be useful to track, please
let us know.

Please also correct, if necessary, the information we have at present on
dates, locations, and primary organizers of previous conferences. We are
sorry if we have failed to include organizers or credited the wrong people!

1975 - London
1978 - Tokyo (Fred Peng)
1981 - Vancouver (John Gilbert)
1984 - Austin (Anne VanKleeck)
1987 - Lund
1990 - Budapest (Zita Reger)
1993 - Trieste (Maria Silvia Barbieri)
1996 - Istanbul (Ayhan Aksu)
1999 - San Sebastian/Donostia (Jasone Cenoz)
2002 - Madison (Jon Miller)
2005 - Berlin
2008 - Edinburgh (Sorace)
2011 - Montreal (Henri Cohen)