stats on IASCL meetings

Margaret Friend mfriend at sciences.sdsu.edu
Tue Oct 2 19:05:28 UTC 2012

Dear Virginia,

Please find a list of my attendance and activity at the IASCL.

Best,

Maggie

Friend, M.  Home Literacy Environment and Maternal Responsiveness as
Predictors of Preschool Outcomes.  Poster presented at the meeting of the
International Association for the Study of Child Language, Montreal, Canada.

Pace, A., Friend, M., & Carver, L.J. (2011).  The Roots of Action Verbs in
Event Structure: A Neurophysiological Perspective. Poster presented at the
meeting of the International Association for the Study of Child Language,
Montreal, Canada.

 Zesiger, P., Schoenhals, L., Lévy, A., Mounir, D.G., Jöhr, J.  & Friend,
M. (2008).  Vocabulary assessment in toddlers: A comparison between 2
versions of the French adaptation of the Computerized Comprehension Test.*
*Poster presented at the meeting of the Association for the Study of Child
Language, Edinburgh.

Simpson, A., Schoenhals, L. Duenas, A., Zesiger, P. & Friend, M. (2008). A
Cross-Linguistic Comparison of the Relationship between the Home Literacy
Environment and Early Receptive Vocabulary. Poster presented at the meeting
of the International Association for the Study of Child Language, Edinburgh.

 Friend, M. & Keplinger, M. (2005).  An engaging approach to early
vocabulary assessment in American English and Mexican Spanish.  In M.
Friend (Chair), Picture recognition approaches to comprehension:
Neuroscience, cross-linguistic, and atypical development perspectives,
Symposium presentation at the International Association for the Study of
Child Language, Berlin, Germany.

 Thal, D. & Friend, M. (2005). Predicting comprehension from parent report
and child performance. In Friend (Chair), Picture recognition approaches to

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Virginia Valian <vvvstudents at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> the numbers of contributors and attendees since the first meeting in 1975.
>  We believe that we would see an enormous increase over the years.  Data of
> this sort could be very useful for funding requests, especially for
> international collaborations, since they would document the widespread
> interest and value of work in child language.
>
> Some of you were organizers, some contributors, some attendees.  Each of
> you may have different information to convey.  Brian and I will attempt to
> collate and organize the information so that it will be useful.  Perhaps
> you have a program from one of the previous meetings.  If you could mail us
> a copy or scan a copy, we will undertake to scan any programs we receive
> and return the originals to their owners and perform the tabulations listed
> below as well as others that you may suggest.
>
> Even if all you know is that the meeting you attended did not have
> concurrent sessions and met in a room that held no more than N people, that
> would be helpful.  We have no way of knowing whether we will be flooded
> with information or will receive almost none.  At present, we're hoping for
> the former more than the latter!
>
> Here is the information we are particularly interested in:
> number of talks
> number of posters
> number of registered participants
> number of faculty, post-docs, independent researchers, students
> number of countries represented
> number of languages reported on in a talk or poster
> number of symposia
> number of symposia with more than one country represented
> invited addresses (with stats on country represented and sex)
> organizers
> location of meeting (e.g., a university, a convention center)
>
> If there is other information you think it would be useful to track,
> please let us know.
>
> Please also correct, if necessary, the information we have at present on
> dates, locations, and primary organizers of previous conferences. We are
> sorry if we have failed to include organizers or credited the wrong people!
>
> 1975 - London
> 1978 - Tokyo (Fred Peng)
> 1981 - Vancouver (John Gilbert)
> 1984 - Austin (Anne VanKleeck)
> 1987 - Lund
> 1990 - Budapest (Zita Reger)
> 1993 - Trieste (Maria Silvia Barbieri)
> 1996 - Istanbul (Ayhan Aksu)
> 1999 - San Sebastian/Donostia (Jasone Cenoz)
> 2002 - Madison (Jon Miller)
> 2005 - Berlin
> 2008 - Edinburgh (Sorace)
> 2011 - Montreal (Henri Cohen)
> 2014 - Amsterdam
> 2017 - Lyon
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Virginia Valian
>
> --
> Virginia Valian
> Distinguished Professor
> Department of Psychology, Hunter College
> PhD Programs in Linguistics, Psychology, and Speech-Language-Hearing

Margaret Friend, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Psychology
and Doctoral Program in Language and Communicative Disorders
Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
San Diego State University
6505 Alvarado Road, Suite 101
San Diego, CA 92120