List of "English" nonsense words?

Lisa LISA.S.PEARL at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 18 15:44:56 UTC 2012

Another potentially useful reference for identifying the nonsense words you
might need for a study:

http://www.iphod.com
(The Irvine Phonotactic Dictionary)

>From their summary page:
"The Irvine Phonotactic Online Dictionary (IPhOD) is a large collection of
English words and pseudowords developed that was originally developed at UC
Irvine for research on speech perception and production. The collection
allows researchers to select items for experiments, based on measures
related to speech sounds. Specifically, it can be used to answer questions
such as: Which contains more unusual sound-sequences, *dog* or *cat?* Which
sounds like fewer other English words? What are some nonsense words with
similar phonological qualities? All of the IPhOD tools on this website are
freely available for academic and personal use. There is also an blog<http://iphodblog.blogspot.com/> to
provide a forum for feedback, questions, and suggestions - or use email to
contact: Kenny Vaden <http://people.musc.edu/~kiv3/>."

-Lisa