List of "English" nonsense words?

Margaret Fleck margaretmfleck at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 23:33:27 UTC 2012

It might also be good to run an explicit check that the words really are
nonsense to the specific kids in question.    Just because it's unfamiliar
to the researcher does not mean it's not a common household
word for the kids.    I won't say which reputable group used "gorp"
as a nonsense word.   Our kids were familiar with ikona, dal, and
pockie from very small.   (Hint:  two are South Africanisms, one
is a common food if you live near Indians and one of our kids had
a pash for it as a toddler.)   Unless you're selecting kids from a small
closed community, it's hard to see how you could design any list
that could avoid this.    But you could find out at least after the fact
which words the parents think their kids might know as meaningful.

Margaret Fleck (U. Illinois)