Help with stories about child bilinguals in China

Barbara Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Sat Oct 27 02:52:51 UTC 2012

Dear Info-Childs,

Can you help me find 3 or 4 personal stories about the language environments of children growing up bilingually in China.  It can be about people who are currently children, or children now grown.

I am superstitious to say it out loud, because we do not yet have a publisher, but I would like them for the Chinese translation of my book, nearing completion.  For the other language editions, we have substituted local examples for some of the testimonials in Chapter 5 which emphasized the U.S. or western Europe.  There is currently one example of a family in Hong Kong, but we would like a broader range of experience.  It can be people whose child(ren) ended up actively bilingual--or not.

I will welcome your suggestions, either of your own stories, or references to someone else who would be willing to correspond with me, or the translator, if the person does not speak a language I can understand.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best wishes,

Barbara

Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
Co-director, Language Acquisition Research Center (LARC)
Research Associate, Depts of Linguistics and   Communication Disorders
c/o 226 South College
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst MA 01003
413-545-5023