using words or trials as subjects

Erika Hoff erikachoff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 00:28:10 UTC 2012

You might be talking about F prime--as opposed to the typical F. I think
the argument is that one should do both because your words are sampled from
the population of words just as your subjects are sampled from the
population of people. I believe--and this is a long term memory experiment
for me--the original reference is Herb Clark 1973.

See what others have to say.

Erika Hoff

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Margaret Friend
<mfriend at sciences.sdsu.edu>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am looking for a paper and I'm not sure where to begin.  We have a study
> with a small sample but many, many trials.  We would like to organize our
> data by trial (rather than subject) as this gives us much greater power and
> also allows us to ask about relations within the data on a trial by trial
> basis.  I seem to recall an older paper on doing something like this:
>  transposing data to treat words as subjects.
>
> Does anyone remember this paper and, if so, would you please send me the
> citation?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Maggie
>
> --
> Margaret Friend, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor
> Department of Psychology
> and Doctoral Program in Language and Communicative Disorders
> Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
> San Diego State University
> 6505 Alvarado Road, Suite 101
> San Diego, CA 92120
>

>  --