Bilingual CDI

Annick De Houwer annickej at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 13:15:24 UTC 2012

Hello Francesca and everyone--

I've been using Dutch and European French adaptations for a group study of
BFLA infants and toddlers. In my view, for full assessment of children's
capabilities in each language, each language needs to be assessed
separately. For sources on how that can be done, see:
De Houwer, A., M. H. Bornstein & S. De Coster, 2006. Early understanding of
two words for the same thing: A CDI study of lexical comprehension in
infant bilinguals. *International journal of bilingualism* 10(3): 331-348.
De Houwer, A., 2010. Assessing lexical development in Bilingual First
Language Acquisition: What can we learn from monolingual norms? In M.
Cruz-Ferreira (ed.),* Multilingual Norms. *Frankfurt: Peter Lang, pp.
279-322.* *
De Houwer, A., Bornstein, M., & Putnick, D. (to appear). A
bilingual-monolingual comparison of young children's vocabulary size:
Evidence from comprehension and production. *Applied Psycholinguistics*.

Francesca, since you are working with languages in which CDI's are
available, if you are working with BFLA children, you can use the 2
monolingual versions. It is of great importance to ask DIFFERENT people to
fill them in, though (as described in the sources above).

Good luck,

Annick