tense and clitics in Romance languages

Isa Barriere barriere.isa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 13:25:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

I generally agree with John's point: tense marking and the appropriate use
of object clitics reflect different aspects of the grammar.  You will find
relevant discussions in the many papers that have contrasted subject and
object clitics in the acquisition of French by Cornelia Hamman, Celia
Jacubowicz, Geraldine Legendre, Marie-Therese Lenormand, Joanne Paradis,
Phaedra Royle and my own on the acquisition of French SE (accessible at
www.yeled.org/res.asp) in addition to the works cited below by John.

To the best of my knowledge the literature on the acquisition of Spanish
and Italian also demontrate the realtively late acquisition of object
clitics, in relation to tense marking- see the many papers by Bottari for
Italian and on Spanish See the chapter by L.M. Bedore Morphosyntactic
Development and references cited therein in B.A. Goldstein (2004) Bilingual
Language Development and  Disorders in Spanish-English Speakers.

Best,

Isabelle Barriere, PhD