tense and clitics in Romance languages

Theres theres.gruter at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 24 20:15:11 UTC 2013

In addition to "knowledge development", as pointed out by John, the
development of processing abilities may also be involved, at least in the
case of object clitics. See:

Grüter, Theres, Nereyda Hurtado & Anne Fernald (2012). Interpreting object
clitics in real-time: eye-tracking evidence from 4-year-old and adult
speakers of Spanish. In Alia K. Biller, Esther Y. Chung, and Amelia E.
Kimball (eds.), Proceedings of the 36th Annual Boston University Conference
on Language Development. Somerville (pp. 213-225), MA: Cascadilla Press.

Grüter, Theres & Martha Crago (2012). Object clitics and their omission in
child L2 French: The contributions of processing limitations and L1
transfer. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition 15(3), 531-549.

For more on object clitics in L1 Italian, see

Tedeschi, Roberta. 2009. Acquisition at the interfaces: A Case Study of
Object Clitics in
Early Italian. Utrecht: LOT.

I hope this is helpful.

best,