Abridged summary of info-childes at googlegroups.com - 2 Messages in 1 Topic

Philip Dale dalep at unm.edu
Tue Aug 20 13:22:17 UTC 2013

Thanks to Virginia Valian for raising this issue, and for the information others have provided.
I'd just like to put in the suggestion not to equate 'language acquisition' with 'part of linguistics', as there are some other, rather substantial disciplines that are concerned with acquisition, including psychology, speech and hearing sciences, and special education. Some of the phenomena that have been raised in the discussion are probably specific to linguistics, in particular generative linguistics in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. For example, if adult/theorizing work and acquisition work differ substantially in the amount of formalizing involved, it would not be surprising to find a gender difference. (I realize that there is much controversy about the 'why' of this, but the existence of such a difference is well-established.) In other fields, not characterized by that type of difference, the demography might be very different. And worth studying.

Philip Dale
Speech & Hearing Sciences
University of New Mexico