fun things kids say as first class attention grabbers

Lulu Song lulusong at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 14:34:58 UTC 2013

I really enjoyed reading the examples everyone so generously shared and I
saved all of them. Here's one I use in my class (I might have learned about
it from our list):
"A fairy tale by adorable French girl!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPHgcj0-pXw

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Celeste Kidd <ckidd at bcs.rochester.edu>wrote:

> I like using YouTube clips for teaching.
>
> Here's one I use when I talk about "chunking" (acquiring the meaning of a
> chunk of words together):
> http://youtu.be/Fk-1mla0LeU
>
> And another good one for turn-taking, prosody, and pragmatics:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpDilztRBE
>

> --
> Celeste Kidd
> Brain & Cognitive Sciences, University of Rochester
> Meliora Hall, RC 270268, Rochester, NY 14627-0268
> www.bcs.rochester.edu/people/ckidd/
> +1 617 515 2461
>
> Lab: www.rochester.edu/babylab
>

> On Aug 22, 2013, at 9:10 AM, Thomas Hills wrote:
>
> My son once asked, "Dad, can I get a banjo that you play like this?" Then
> he made the motion for a violin.
>
> The anecdote is published here:
>
> Hills, T. (2012).  The company that words keep: Comparing child and
> adult-directed language.  *Journal of Child Language*, 1-19. Available
> online at doi:10.1017/S0305000912000165.****
>
> On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:44:00 AM UTC+1, Bruno wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I like to use attention grabbers the first day of class in my language
>> acquisition courses. I usually mention the fis phenomenon, McNeill and
>> Braine on negative evidence, and some fun errors (for example from Erika
>> Hoff's and Eve Clark's books, with attribution). Students laugh and become
>> really interested in figuring out why kids say the darnedest things.
>> I was wondering if somebody can share examples that can be used this way
>> or if people have some favorite ones they use.
>> Thanks all.
>>
>> Bruno
>> Bruno Estigarribia
>> Assistant Professor of Spanish, Department of Romance Languages and
>> Literatures
>> Research Assistant Professor of Psychology, Cognitive Science Program
>> Affiliate Faculty, Global Studies
>> University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/info-childes/1ade11cc-b105-413c-90fe-dd7e8746b666%40googlegroups.com
> .
>

>  --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/info-childes/D3DA9AF9-8ABF-4F9D-9740-0BB396639055%40bcs.rochester.edu
> .

宋露露 Lulu Song, Ph.D.
<http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/crcde/> <https://files.nyu.edu/ls166/public/>
Assistant Professor
Department of Early Childhood Education and Art Education
School of Education
Brooklyn College, City University of New York
2900 Bedford Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11210
Office: James Hall, Room 2307B
Email: lsong at brooklyn.cuny.edu