History of theories in language acquisition

Marilyn Vihman marilyn.vihman at york.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 17:22:50 UTC 2013

Probably you're not looking for theories strictly concerned with phonology, but the 2nd ed. of my book, Phonological Development, will be out in February. It includes (in ch. 1) a little analysis of Chomsky's 1965 rationale for proposing the LAD (or UG), and then two chapters devoted to formalist, perception and functionalist models. There is a historical account there, although not only that. Maybe that is also useful (and it is current).

-marilyn

On 12 Dec 2013, at 17:11, Miguel Pérez Pereira <miguel.perez.pereira at usc.es> wrote:

> Two other chapters offer a good historical review of the field, although they are not updated.
> BLOOM, L. Language Development Review. En HOROWITZ, F.D. Review of Child Development Research. University of Chicago  Press, 1975, 245-303.
> INGRAM, D. First language acquisition. Theory and methods. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 1989. Chapter 2: The history of child language studies
>
> El 12/12/2013, a las 15:43, Ambridge, Ben <Ben.Ambridge at liverpool.ac.uk> escribió:
>

>> Dear all
>>
>> Could anyone point me in the direction of any articles/books/chapters that give a historical overview of theories in child language acquisition - i.e., ones that focus on the rise and/or fall of particular theories (rather than - say - landmark studies). I’m primarily interested in typical first language acquisition, but it would be great to also have a couple of historical reviews of theories in atypical development, L2 acquisition and bilingualism. I’ll send round a summary of suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ben
>>
>> --
>
> Miguel Pérez Pereira
> Departamento de Psicoloxía Evolutiva e da Educación
> Universidade de Santiago de Compostela
> 157802 Santiago de Compostela
> Spain
> miguel.perez.pereira at usc.es