History of theories in language acquisition

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Dec 16 21:42:10 UTC 2013

Dear Ben, Roberta, Isabelle, and others,

     Some of the reviews of the history of child language research seem to ignore big chunks of relevant structuralist work.  During the period from about 1870 to 1950, talented linguists and psychologists such as the Sterns, Ament, Szuman, Preyer, Gvozdev, Leopold, Kenyeres, Ponori, and others created highly detailed baby biographies.  These biographies were stimulated by two major theoretical trends.  The first was Darwinian thinking about core issues in ontogeny, phylogeny, gesture, and communication, which later merged with Piagetian analyses.  The second was the growth of structural linguistic analysis from the Junggrammatiker movement on to Saussure and structuralism.  There was great attention to detection of similarities between child language, language change, and second language learning. Under the influence of Gestalt psychology as well as historical linguistics, there was a great emphasis on analogical processes and constructions.
    It is true that the advent of generative grammar led to the introduction of new ideas and theories that shifted the focus away from analogy and constructions to rules and symbols.  But it would be a mistake to dismiss the insights from this earlier period.  Brown (1973) pays a lot of attention to Chomsky's formulations, but the actual work he conducted could have easily been framed within a structuralist framework.  The Bar-Adon and Leopold reader from 1971 presents snippets from this earlier work, but really one has to read the complete biographies and work through the linguistic detail of studies such as Leopold or Ponori to understand how much the structuralist position had already illuminated the process of language learning.
    Beginning the history of child language with Chomsky also ignores serious descriptive attempts within the behaviorist framework to describe phoneme inventories (Winitz), vocabulary (McCarthy), evolution (Mowrer), and situated learning (Skinner).  Although few of these behaviorist descriptions have survived later examination, I would say that the bulk of the structuralist descriptions remain largely intact.
    It would be nice to have a good review of this "missing century".

-- Brian MacWhinney