History of theories in language acquisition

Donna Jackson djacksonqro at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 22:19:37 UTC 2013

There is a book, published in 1977 by Adele Abrahamsen and published by
University Park Press, *Child Language,* that contains a large list of of
studies of child language from different perspectives. I´m not sure if it
goes back to Leopold and Stern, but it an incredible resource.
I always use the chapter by Bohannon in the Berko text book, The
Development of Language.
Donna Jackson-Maldonado

2013/12/16 Brian MacWhinney <macw at cmu.edu>

> Dear Ben, Roberta, Isabelle, and others,
>
>      Some of the reviews of the history of child language research seem to
> ignore big chunks of relevant structuralist work.  During the period from
> about 1870 to 1950, talented linguists and psychologists such as the
> Sterns, Ament, Szuman, Preyer, Gvozdev, Leopold, Kenyeres, Ponori, and
> others created highly detailed baby biographies.  These biographies were
> stimulated by two major theoretical trends.  The first was Darwinian
> thinking about core issues in ontogeny, phylogeny, gesture, and
> communication, which later merged with Piagetian analyses.  The second was
> the growth of structural linguistic analysis from the Junggrammatiker
> movement on to Saussure and structuralism.  There was great attention to
> detection of similarities between child language, language change, and
> second language learning. Under the influence of Gestalt psychology as well
> as historical linguistics, there was a great emphasis on analogical
> processes and constructions.
>     It is true that the advent of generative grammar led to the
> introduction of new ideas and theories that shifted the focus away from
> analogy and constructions to rules and symbols.  But it would be a mistake
> to dismiss the insights from this earlier period.  Brown (1973) pays a lot
> of attention to Chomsky's formulations, but the actual work he conducted
> could have easily been framed within a structuralist framework.  The
> Bar-Adon and Leopold reader from 1971 presents snippets from this earlier
> work, but really one has to read the complete biographies and work through
> the linguistic detail of studies such as Leopold or Ponori to understand
> how much the structuralist position had already illuminated the process of
> language learning.
>     Beginning the history of child language with Chomsky also ignores
> serious descriptive attempts within the behaviorist framework to describe
> phoneme inventories (Winitz), vocabulary (McCarthy), evolution (Mowrer),
> and situated learning (Skinner).  Although few of these behaviorist
> descriptions have survived later examination, I would say that the bulk of
> the structuralist descriptions remain largely intact.
>     It would be nice to have a good review of this "missing century".
>
> -- Brian MacWhinney
>

> On Dec 14, 2013, at 11:37 PM, Isa Barriere <barriere.isa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> 1. My very very dear friend Jeffrey Wollock reviews many theories both on
> typical and atypical development from Aristotle to the 17th century in "The
> Noblest Animate motion' published by Johns Benjamins and he has since
> written a couple of articles that are probably in press on the 18th
> century.  The book is based on his PhD that he did at Oxford and one of his
> examiners was John Marshall.
> There is another book by a female author Nancy???? on the 16th century but
> [...]

Donna Jackson-Maldonado
Centro de Estudios Lingüísticos y Literarios
Facultad de Lenguas y Letras, Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro
Campus Aeropuerto, Circuito Fray Junípero Serra Km 8
Santiago de Querétaro, Qro., México 76140
web: http://www.donnajackson.weebly.com
e-mail: djacksonq <djackson at uaq.mx>ro at gmail.com
tel: 52 442 192 1200 ex. 61200 o 61140
home: 52 442 2180264