History of theories in language acquisition

Philip Dale dalep at unm.edu
Wed Dec 18 00:14:14 UTC 2013

As an authentic old fogy, also textbook writer, my thoughts:
I find the history of child language studies fascinating, with its many connections to philosophy, linguistics, biology, sociology, and many other fields, and the history of child development more broadly as well. Students on the whole don't, even though I try to explain that it's like travel, in that it broadens the mind. Both of them help us realize that things aren't always, and won't always be, the way they are here and now; in short, it weakens dogmatism, while reminding us that the big questions are what endures. It's easy to blame this lack of interest on the callowness of youth, but I think that misses an important point. The history of a field is only interesting when you know something about the field, which is not in the opening chapter of a survey textbook. I think it might be more fruitful to have an 'interlude' on history, oh, maybe two-thirds of the way through the book, when students have learned something about theories, and about the phenomena the theories are trying to explain. Then to see how the main current themes emerged, sometimes gradually, sometimes more suddenly, and with reversals along the way. And finally to speculate about where we might be going next.
I hope someone who has participated in this fascinating discussion will write that kind of history.
Philip Dale