bilingual children: comprehension and production

Isa Barriere barriere.isa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 20:09:26 UTC 2013

Hi Gisela,

I want to first respond to the issue of teaching the 4/5 year old grandson
to read and write in German (in addition to English).

1. There is now a literature on children learning to read and write in
Spanish and English in the US at the same time and the greater phonological
transparency of Spanish has been shown to have a positive effect on the
English;

2.  A friend of mine raised her son with Spanish/Father's lg and
French/mother's lg at home and English being introduced around 3.  I
advised his mother to start teaching to read in French (a deep orthography-
different from English) as soon as he leaned in English- and it is the same
issue formal reading and writing in France and therefore in in French
material typically starts at 6, not 5.  Still she started with the
relatively transparent words (with trepidation: she herself has a slight
dyslexia that makes her a slow readers in her 3 lgs) and the
Spanish-speaking dad did not directly teach him to read and write in
Spanish but kept reading him books and pointing to the words etc.  He is 8
years old now and his reading in English is fine (same or above his age
peers on standard tests that US public schools are obsessed with) and he
also enjoys reading in Spanish and French,a s well as French, which is
crucial to the development of his languages.

3.  I really think that you cannot over emphasize the importance of
literacy and many of my university students at Brooklyn College (the
students population speaks about 100 different lgs ) are Heritage Lg
Learners who feel their home language is impoverished by their lack of
literacy skills in that lg.  Those of attend Heritage Lg classes offered
(in Cantonese, Haitian Creole, Russian, Spanish etc) say they feel
empowered by these literacy skills.
After a certain age , we learn more about language (new words etc) and we
lean more through/in a language with our literacy skills (and this is
particularly true in today's IT world) so not having your grandson learn to
read in German (which as you say yourself is not that hard given the
transparency of the system) is depriving him of a chance to develop his
German language skills independently.  And if you wait his English literacy
skills are going to be so strong he is not going to be interested in
learning/improving his German ones.  This is also what I share with the
Russian-speaking parents of bilingual children at w/shops I regularly
deliver in Brooklyn.

4.  One the languages I have been working with is Yiddish in the Hasidic
community in Brooklyn.  This community has been exceptional at continuing
the cultural transmission in sometimes adverse conditions and one of the
reasons why it has been successful is the emphasis of literacy skills.
 Yiddish is transmitted, partly because it provides a bridge to the Hebrew
alphabet, that of course is ties to religion.  And there are many
historical accounts of the teaching methods in the community that
emphasized learning the alphabets with different modalities (including
anecdotes on letters made out of wood placed in honey for children to suck
so they would love learning the alphabet, Baumgarten, 1988)

5.  In my lab we have looked at emergent literacy skills of children
exposed to both the Hebrew and Roman alphabets of Hebrew-English-speaking
preschoolers and we have not found any delay and we have found evidence of
transfer of skills, re: letter recognition and phonological processing.

I hope this helps,

Isabelle

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Gisela Szagun <gisela.szagun at googlemail.com