MacWhinney files mismatch?

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue Jun 18 19:46:32 UTC 2013

Dear Lynne,

I don't believe any files have been removed.  Instead there has been some renaming.  You seem to have an older version of the database manual, but even the current version is unclear.  So, I rewrote this section and renamed some audio files.   I removed the phrase "boys" from the untranscribed recordings to make the numerical sequence clearer.  I then revised the description to read as follows:

This directory contains transcripts from MacWhinney’s diary study of the development of his two sons, Ross and Mark. Ross was born on December 25, 1977 and Mark was born on November 19, 1979. Ross was recorded between the ages of 0;6 and 8;0 and Mark was recorded between 0;7 and 5;6. Because the investigator is also the boys’ father, these data represent a fairly natural record of the family’s interactions.

Many recordings are not yet transcribed. Untranscribed recordings include 1-10 when Ross was quite young and those after tape 90 when Ross was 5;6 and Mark was 4;5.  There is also a set of 12 untranscribed recordings from Mark between the ages of 3;6 and 6;0. The 12 files specifically targeted at collecting data from Mark begin in March 1982, when Mark is 1;4. However, there is little speech from this period with most of the separate Mark data begin­ning after October 1982, when Mark is 1;11.  All these untranscribed recordings are in the /unlinked folder on the server.

There is also a file (Ross01) that chronicles Ross’s very early development.

 -- Brian MacWhinney