MLU in syllables?

Shanley Allen shanley at bu.edu
Tue Sep 10 22:34:28 UTC 2013

Hi Nan,

We haven't identified anything yet - just looked at a few transcripts so far with promising results, but very preliminary. So far it looks like Inuktitut morphemes are on average 2 syllables long.

I'm not asking about norms. I assume there are no norms available for Inuktitut. And I also assume that the relationship between syllables and morphemes would work different for each language. So norms for other languages would probably not be relevant for Inuktitut.

At this point, I just would like to know if anyone else has tried to assess MLU by syllable, to learn from what they have already done. Thanks so much for the reference - it will be very helpful.

Best,
Shanley.